Skip to main content

Vacation 2018 Part 1

For our 25th Anniversary we decided to make our way back to Ireland. We got engaged in Killarny Ireland in June of 1995. This vacation started on September 21, 2018 and ended October 3rd, 2018.

First we had to say goodbye to these faces. We were lucky to have friends that were willing to watch them while we were gone. I think they miss their new friends now.


We got to the airport early as required. We started watching the first season of Grimm to kill the time.


Our first day we traveled by car, bus, light rail, and 2 planes. We were in some stage of travel for  about 23 hours. Our flight was broken into 2 chunks we went from Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC. Then Vancouver to London. Flying with Air Canada was much nicer then our direct flight with Delta. We will definitely take this option for future travel.




Saturday September 23rd, 2018


We landed in London and customs seemed fasted landing from Canada rather than the US. We tool the tube and located our hotel. We stayed at the Ibis Shephards Bush. The room was small and clean and not too expensive. The hall way remided me of The Shining.


We went to one of Shane's Favorite Kabob places, Best Mangal in West Kensington. I also wanted a fun way to let friends and family know what we were up to so I picked up a blind box Dunny and Travels with Ewebert was started.


Sunday September 23rd, 2018

We got up at 5am and headed to the airport. Ireland here we come. London to Dublin with British Airways. A comforatable and quick journey. Customs in Dublin were not quick. We got through and grabbed our rental car and headed North.




We found our way to Portrush, UK. this was the location of our B and B, Anvershiel House. It was clean and comforatable and the hosts were very nice. There was a delicious breakfast and parking.


We took a walk into town.






The hosts gave us a suggestion on how to walk into town and a place to dine. We found that every restaraunt had long waiting times or needed reservations. I knew of a place the next town over but the sun was still up and we thought we would catch the giant's causeway at sunset. The reason we chose to visit the Nrothern half of Ireland was to see The Giants Causeway. This was my third trip to Ireland and I didn't want to miss it again. And I wasn't dissapointed.  





On the way to dinner we came upon Dunluce Castle.
 It was closed but since it was in ruin we decided to take a few shots from the fence.






From here we headed to Michelin Listed Harry's Shack in Port Stewart. One of the best meals ever.
I know stupid American had a burger.  It was an awesome burger. I also found my favorite cider that I will never get to have again.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to Start on the Garden

So now that the house is basically done. I am not sure if a home is ever really complete but for now no major projects inside. I decided to start on the front yard. It is lacking in curb appeal... So I used the broken pieces of concrete chimney/vent to create a tiered flower bed. I guess I am going for an English garden feel. Sticking to purples, whites, reds, and some pinks, for color. I did get a couple of ferns. I also planted Shane's silly fern he rescued from the gutter from our last rental. Pretty...

A Broken Heart

On August 13th 2019... my heart broke. There have been many trying things that have happened in my life but on this day, so far the hardest day I lost my little man, Oliver. It's not that it came as a surprise. We had known for over 4 months he had cancer of his spine. The sadness had overwhelmed me during this time watching him deteriorate. The sadness in his eyes the last week could be unbearable. That is when I would just hold him. We spent the day together, we snuggled, he had some water and a little food. He cried any time I left the room even to get him water. He was happy when Shane got home. He wagged his tale. Shane sat with him about an hour later he crossed the rainbow bridge. Here is where I am. I cry every day. I try to hide it but mostly I function between sadness and anger.  I try to keep my head down and get my job done while at work. We have had some household changes with the addition of my wonderful father in law moving in. I feel bad because I struggle to ke

Vacation 2018 Part 2

Monday September 24th, 2018 To pick up where we left off , we started our day in Portrush, UK. We wole up early had our full Irish breakfast and walked into town to get a coffee.    Ewebert makes his first real appearance. This was our last day in Northern Ireland. We are headed to Donegal. The first thing we hit after we leave town is a restored hill fort. I found it to be a hidden gem. It wasn't something we planned for until the morning we left Portrush. I was looking for something on our way to Donegal.   It was a beautiful rainy find. Cows! We made our way to Donegal town. The main attraction for Shane is it's the home of Hanna's Hats. He got six. We walked around the town, got some hats, had a cream tea, Saw the castle, settled into our B and B. Donegal Castle was small but beautiful. Shane knows his Irish history better than myself. During the famine the  Choctaw Nat